Since the beginning of cataclysm, Archaeology has been somewhat shunned by the gold farming community. This is partially due to the nature of the profession–it can be pretty tedious at times–and then also because it has gotten a bad reputation as a gold sink.
Despite all beliefs otherwise, Archaeology can actually be a pretty decent gold farming opportunity!
Don’t get me wrong, you probably won’t be funding your main with it, but it can be a nice and easy way to make some extra gold while you’re already out and about in the world.
So how do I actually make gold with Archaeology
While you’re out digging, you may run accross some uncommon keystones. There is a different keystone for each race, and when combined with keystone slotted relics, it can save other players a lot of time.
- Vrykul Rune Stick | Vrykuls (Northrend)
- Nerubian Obelisk | Nerubian (Northrend)
- Tol’vir Hieroglyphic | Tol’virs (Uldum)
- Troll Tablet | Trolls (Eastern Kingdoms)
- Dwarf Rune Stone | Dwarfs (Eastern Kingdoms)
- Highborne Scroll | Night Elves (Kalimdor)
- Orc Blood Text | Orc (Outlands)
- Draenei Tome | Draenei (Outlands)
These special keystones can be used by other players for the worth of around 12 fragments–that’s an entire digsite!
For players leveling Archaeology, these keystones can really save some frustration and time. The best relics to partner these keystones with have three slots, but they are pretty rare.
If you run across these relics while digging, I would recommend parting with them as they are not BoP and sell for rediculously high in the Auction House. I’ve easily sold Tol’vir Hieroglyphics for around 810g each.
Buffing up Your Gold Farming
The best profit that I’ve seen (other than peddling my rare relics, of course) is selling off keystones for the daily dungeon quests. Because the completion of the quest gives the party a special buff for the dungeon, these keystones can be pretty profitable.
Unfortuantly, only players with the Archaeology profession can actually complete these dailies, but more and more players are picking it up as a profession.
The new heroic dungeons are proving to be a little more difficult than a lot of players anticipated, and a 5% reduction in damage or a 10% damage bonus can be pretty appealing at times.
Here is a list of dungeons with Archaeology dailies and their keystone requirements:
- Highborn Scroll | Throne of the Tides | Bonus Damage +10% (vs. Naga)
- Dwarf Rune Stone | Grim Batol | Critical Chance +5%
- Dwarf Rune Stone | Blackrock Caverns | Elemental Damage -5%
- Dwarf Rune Stone | The Stonecore | Critical Chance +5%
- Tol’vir Hierolyphic | Lost City of Tol’vir | Bonus Damage +10% (vs the Neferset)
- Tol’vir Hierolyphic | The Vortex Pinnacle | Replenishes Mana Over Time
- Tol’vir Hierolyphic | Halls of Origin | Movement Speed Increase
There’s usually a pretty low amount of competition on most server’s Auction Houses. Most of the times, I can pretty much charge whatever I want (that I believe players will pay). Don’t be illusioned–selling some keystones here and there won’t make you rich by any means. However, if you’re like me and you enjoy the profession, there’s no reason to not profit from your efforts.